Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday, 19 April 2012

I finally got caught up on my Hulu queue. I was watching the episode where Bones gives birth. She was in a heated discussion with her partner about wanting a home birth. I could not believe such a hit show was showcasing that hot-button topic as advocated by a highly educated female.  I was giddy to say the least.

I wanted to love it, I really, really did.  But then it happened. She was lying on the floor, on her back...like all other shows with birth scenes. WTH!!! Apparently these writers did not put any research into actual traditional birth practices, such as having the mother in an upright or otherwise advantageous position. Thank you boring, been-there, done-that TV. This birth scene was no different from any other one I have seen. Good job Fox Broadcasting. You could have made this one episode to remember and cause lots of buzz about but you took the easy road out. What happened to Fox being the network that had outrageous characters saying and doing outrageous things? This would have been the perfect outlet to show a woman having a truly natural birth experience. How outrageous and anti-normal would that have been to see.  Fox has stopped pushing the envelope. Count me sorely disappointed.

It didn't matter that Bones didn't give birth in a hospital, she still did it in the same position she would have had she been in a birth suite on a hospital bed.  Homebirth advocates can like this episode up until the actual birth.  During a hospital tour with other mothers-to-be, Bones espoused reasons not to have a baby in the hospital just for the infections that the immature immune system of the new baby would not be able to fight. That was a pretty funny scene.

Oh, in case you haven't figured it out, I am PRO all things natural and home birth.

Comment away.

0 comments:

Post a Comment